We offer some of the best Bed & Breakfast experience to happy modern travelers, and are proud to have a 5-star rating on TripAdvisor where we are ranked as the #1 B&B/Inn in Shelburne. An unbeatable location, one of the best breakfasts you will ever find in any B&B or Inn, comfortable rooms and beds, fun personable innkeepers - just a few things that set us apart and will make your experience positive and memorable.
BEST HOSPITALITY LOCATION IN TOWN
- The closest B&B to Shelburne Museum & Ben & Jerry's Concerts On The Green - just a short 0.7 mile walk!
- The closest B&B to the majestic Inn at Shelburne Farms, Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Shelburne Vineyard and other wineries, breweries, distilleries, sugarhouses, cheese-making farms, hiking trails, and everything Vermont has to offer within a day trip distance.
- The closest B&B to Shelburne Farmers' Market (Saturdays, May-October) - just a short walk!
- The only B&B with several eclectic restaurants, antiques & art galleries and shopping options around the block! A quintessential Vermont country store, a local wine & coffee spot, an acclaimed Chef's store and cooking school, a craft jeweler, beauty salons, the list goes on! Once you are here, you will not have to drive to get around - unless you want to!
- Ideally positioned near scenic routes for all your Vermont and upstate New York day trips, as well as hiking and biking adventures.
BEST B&B BREAKFASTS IN TOWN
- Complimentary gourmet breakfasts, custom made just for you with locally-sourced ingredients (only included with reservations made directly with us here on our Official Website; reservations made elsewhere offer a paid breakfast option.)
- Some of the most creative breakfast options you will ever find in a Bed & Breakfast.
- "THIS PLACE SERIOUSLY PUTS THE BREAKFAST IN BED AND BREAKFAST." Nuff said.
Historical Nod to Our Inn
Charming and historic, the Heart of the Village Inn inhabits a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian built by Cyrus Van Vliet, a prosperous local merchant, in 1886. The main house included multiple rooms for a large family and a piazza wrapping around the front of the house. The carriage barn was built a year later on a pile of stones for a foundation, as many barns were in those days. The original footprint of the perennial garden graces the view from the dining room windows.
Elaborate for its day, the house included gumwood wainscoting, a paneled staircase, and a cistern to collect rainwater. A pump and gravity system brought water to the ground-floor bathroom and hall sink. Some say the house had the first flush toilet in town, located in the cellar. English tiles featuring historical scenes frame the fire grate in the library, and locally manufactured wooden blinds grace windows on the main floor. These beautiful features remain well preserved at the Inn today.
This magnificent property served as the residence for the Van Vliet Family until 1915. Dr. Walter H Ranks, a graduate of UVM medical school, lived here with his family and kept his office here until 1917. His daughter, Helen and her husband, Rene H. Gadue resided here and ran an antique shop in the carriage house until the early 1990s.
Following extensive renovations in 1996, the property was converted into a Bed & Breakfast. The house is nearly in its original footprint and both the main building and the carriage barn retain much historic integrity. The inn immediately gained popularity among travelers to Shelburne and visitors of Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms. It was successfully managed by several generations of investor-owners as a typical traditional B&B until 2015, when the current proprietors and Innkeepers Rose and Anatoly turned it a modern and vibrant yet tastefully decorated historic Vermont Inn intended for the 21st century traveler.
MEET THE INNKEEPERS
Passion for Heartfelt Hospitality
Having traveled the world and our great country, we said "so long" to professional careers in Washington, DC (Anatoly's in marketing and advertising, Rose's in finance and government) to pursue our passion for innkeeping.
Why Vermont? There are so many beautiful places out there, but this state is special to us. Its gorgeous nature, its happy relaxed people, its craft food, so many reasons to be here. We were drawn to Vermont to be around happy people and spend more time motorcycling, cooking, enjoying witty conversations with friends, guests, and our dog Lucy, and savoring craft beers. Rose, a long distance runner, is on a mission to run a half marathon in all 50 states. Anatoly has seen most of the world and spends most of his ample free time (yeah, right) exploring everything Vermont has to offer on two wheels.
We became the new innkeepers and proprietors of Heart of the Village Inn in early 2015 with a desire to breathe new life, energy and joie de vivre, and to bring the 21st century approach to the whole Bed & Breakfast experience. We reside at the Inn and personally take care of our guests, offering some of the best Vermont-inspired Bed & Breakfast experience for a modern-day traveler like yourself. Our guests are happy easy-going folks seeking to enjoy a tasteful balance of old Victorian charm and modern amenities sprinkled with technological wonders.